There are two basic coverage types provided by a flood policy. Building coverage covers the structure and contents coverage covers the personal or business items, such as clothes, furniture, appliances, stock, etc.  If you own the building and the contents you can purchase a flood policy as the named insured with coverage for both the building and contents. If you are a renter, you can purchase coverage for your personal or business contents. You will need to check with your landlord to see if they have flood coverage for their building, but in most cases as you have no insurable interest in the building you cannot purchase flood insurance for building coverage.